I’ve been working with Python and Selenium recently at work. Got a few projects completed:
- Automated a daily site checklist for www.recruiter.com
- Inputs two csv lists of pages to check, one for authenticated users and another for unauthenticated
- Checks all pages in the unauthenticated list
- Records all meta tags, page titles, and h1 tags in an output csv
- Takes a screenshot of the page and saves to file
- Logs into a user account
- Repeats for all authenticated pages
- Wrote a script that pulls a daily report
- Logs into mysql database
- Runs multiple queries on the database and saves output to csv file
- Script that dynamically inserts data into an html template and uploads to site
- Currently in progress; major work done completed, site integration to be completed
- Inputs csv doc and html template, uses data to create html page
Also, I recently discovered a sql injection vulnerability in development code at work (and successfully exploited it! Neat!). Dev fixed the issue.
On a more personal note, a friend sent me an email this afternoon telling me about profile on rateyourmusic.com. He has an unbelieveable amount over entries there; he’s rated over 4,000 albums. Admitting that he’s a bit crazy about it, he made a comment that he was slowly copying all his entries into a spreadsheet (over the course of months). Wow! That’s not right!
I wrote up a write a quick script for him after work this evening. It crawls through all 162 pages of his account and pulls the data into a spreadsheet automatically. I’m actually quite happy about this; I feel like it’s the first project I’ve written that has had a real purpose. In the future, I’ll make some updates to this:
- Take a username as an input so it can be used for other accounts
- Pull additional datafields into the spreadsheet
- Determine the amount of pages in the account on it’s own, rather than manually entering it
I guess he’ll have to find else to do in his free time now that he doesn’t have to copy data into a spreadsheet…
That project is uploaded to github here.